The Hood Point Lighthouse is situated next to the golf course on the West Bank within the boundaries of the City of East London.
The lighthouse was first lit on 4 June 1895. Before the commissioning of this lighthouse, Castle Rock Light was the 1st aid to navigation that was erected in the vicinity and, comprised of a fixed white light located on a wooden structure with a 4-metre high square rubble masonry foundation.
This is probably the most popular lighthouse with resident staff as it is situated within the city boundaries, overlooking a very fine golf course, although a cemetery is located on the eastern side of the lighthouse!
The origin of the name is a mystery, although maps dating back to 1849 refers to it as Point Hood. The most likely is that it may have been named after a Lt. Hood who was a member of the team that surveyed the area on instruction from the British Admiralty in 1823.
A commemorative plaque in memory of 18 vessels that ran aground in the vicinity has been erected on site. No visitors allowed inside the lighthouse.